Friday, October 20, 2023

Recent Reading Highlights


 

There aren't many! I've remained in my slump over the past month and a half but did read two books I really liked and enjoyed.

The first was How to Keep House While Drowning by KC Davis. In addition to not being able to read, I have struggled to keep my house clean lately. Too many messes and not enough time to deal with it all. I've been slightly embarrassed about the situation but KC Davis makes you feel no shame or judgment at the state of your house. The book reads like a good friend giving loving and practical advice and tips for starting on the path to a good cleaning routine. If you are looking for expert help on deep cleaning your kitchen this is not the book for you. But if you need to someone to tell you you are not a bad person for having a messy house, you'd probably like this.

The second book I really enjoyed recently was The Fraud by Zadie Smith. It took me a while to finish this long book, but it has short chapters which was wonderful, haha. Also wonderful was the Victorian setting and the story of Mrs. Eliza Touchet, cousin and housekeeper to writer William Ainsworth, and her entanglement with the famous case of the Tichborne Trial. There are lots of strands in this novel, something I always like in historical fiction (see Kate Atkinson) and there's lots to think about. At the end you are left wondering just exactly who or what is the fraud. 

In other news, it's now the height of fall planting season in central Arizona and I have got my nasturtiums, calendula, poppies, forget me nots, sweet peas and cilantro started. Some have germinated already and others I am waiting on. I'll probably plant a few other things this weekend (perhaps strawflowers and stock). I am hoping to have lots of colorful pots in the new year.

Have a lovely weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know you enjoyed The Fraud, it sounds like a great read! Hoping to read it sometime this winter... didn't realize it was a long one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is long but doesn't feel like it! A very engrossing read.

      Delete

Changing Back!

 I've decided to move back to my old blog A Certain Fondness. Join me there again.